Reading Qur’an with understanding is important. Whenever a person reads a book, he wants to understand it and apply it in his daily life. Qur’an is the word of Allah (SWT) and the most fortunate of people put an earnest effort to understand it and apply it in their lives.
The first revelation of the Holy Qur’an that was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was “Recite” “Read” ‘اقرا’ from (Surah Al’alaq verse: 1) which states the importance of acquiring knowledge by reading.
The benefits of understanding the Qur’an for better implementation
Reciting and Understanding Qur’an are the rights of the Qur’an. There are mainly five rights of the Qur’an the Muslims.
- Attentive listening to the Quran: “So when the Qur’an is recited, then listen to it and pay attention that you may receive mercy.” Surah Al-A’raf: 204
- Recitation of the Quran: Allah [SWT] Also says in the Holy Quran: “and recite the Qur’an with measured recitation.” Surah AL-Muzzammil: 4 it is said here to recite the Quran in a slow measured tone so that it would strengthen the mind and soul of the reader.
- Memorization of the Quran: “Verily, one who does not hold anything from the Quran in his heart is like a ruined house.” Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas: to the prophet (PBUH) so, try to memorize Quran every week at least.
- Contemplation of the Quran: Allah [SWT] Says in Surah Muhammad: 24 “Then do they not reflect upon the Qur’an, or are there locks upon [their] hearts?” One should contemplate the depth of meaning of each word of the Quran and reflect in his behavior so that the heart and soul will be filled with the light of revelation and guidance.
- Application of the Quran: Allah [SWT] says in the Quran “And this [Qur’an] is a Book We have revealed [which is] blessed, so follow it and fear Allah that you may receive mercy.” You can apply the teachings of the Qur’an in daily life by obeying Allah’s commands and heeding all His prohibitions which will result in your transformation into a true servant of Allah [SWT].
Is understanding the Quran so important?
Implement the teachings of the Qur’an better when you try to understand it and ponder on its meaning. You can allow some time in your schedule on a daily basis to read Qur’an in Arabic as well as its meaning in whichever language you feel to understand it better and then keep underlining the verses which you could incorporate or include in your life. That would be a very effective way of applying the knowledge of the Qur’an in your life. But unfortunately, people nowadays think that they have fulfilled the rights of the Qur’an by just reading it without understanding the real purpose of its revelation or listening to it profoundly.
Khusho’ (concentration and humility)
When you pray Salah five times daily, there are chances of not being precise in it. You also might get distracted by many thoughts of your concerns and plans that are running through your mind. This can be avoided only when you ponder on the meaning of each verse you recite in your prayer, that would not only help you have khusho’ in your prayer but you will be able to make a strong bond between you and Allah [SWT].
Proper interpretation of the Qur’an while inviting people towards our religion (Da’wah):
When a person wants to attract people towards Islam religion, he himself should have a proper and clear understanding of Islam through the Qur’an and Hadith of the prophet Muhammad (PBUH). He may provide guidance, lessons, and virtues of the noble teachings of the Qur’an while doing Da’wah but it is only if he has the basic foundational knowledge about the Quran.
The Quran is the main source of knowledge
It contains all the knowledge about the events like the creation of the universe, the creation of human beings, the differentiation of good and bad, the day of resurrection, etc.
It is a Source of motivation for leading a successful life if we understand the Quran
Today’s life is full of distractions, competition, struggle, jealousy, and corruption, like social media, etc. the best gift for the upcoming generation would be a proper understanding of the Quran and constant guidance by the parents to attain Allah’s pleasure and success in this Dunya and in the hereafter.
“And whoever turns away from My remembrance – indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind.”Surah Taha verse: 124
How to understand the Qur’an?
Fortunately, there are many ways to improve your understanding of the Quran. Follow these tips to make reciting the Quran easier for understanding.
- Make it manageable as possible; it’s important to not be too overambitious at the beginning of learning the Quran. If you try to learn everything at once, you may feel overwhelmed from the beginning and feel overburdened with how much there is to reach. Take it one step by step and make short-term goals for yourself. Don’t expect to conquer every aspect of recitation and learning all at once.
- Be consistent in learning Quran: Create habits around your Quran lessons so that it becomes a part of your everyday life. Setting aside a part of your time to focus on your faith can help you be more consistent and best encourage growth.
- Listen to and learn with professional reciters
- Reading with professional reciters can teach you a proper recitation of the Quran with Tajweed. Try to play audio of professional Quran reciters in the background while doing everyday tasks, such as driving, cooking, or going to and from work.
- Define words of the Qur’an you don’t know
- Typically, it is easier to recite the Quran when you understand what you are reciting. Comprehension is important for retaining the knowledge and meaningful messages that the Qur’an has to offer. Compile a list of vocabulary words that appear often in reading the Quran. Then, define and study them, with yourself or with a teacher. When you understand what you are reciting, you’re likely to be more engaged and get closer to the meaning of the Quran and then Allah [SWT].
- Focus on pronunciation and articulation points of some letters; following the Tajweed rules is important if you want to learn Quran recitation authentically and properly. Tajweed rules include the correct lengthening and shortening of vowels and sounds, taking the right breaths and pauses, and more. if you want to start learning Tajweed rules, here is Hamilalquran For Islamic studies online academy offers experienced professional teachers who can help learn Quran Tajweed.